Crystal Bowl GBR is aiming to examine 3 core measures across a wide range of species in the region:
- Fishing experience (how many fish per trip)
- Quality of the fish (size of fish)
- Community attitudes (number of legal size fish kept or released)
- Qld Fisheries Boat Ramp Surveys reports catch rate of 0.2 fish/fisher/day
- Hinchinbrook ranked 13th in the state for Venus Tuskfish Catch Rates
- No commercial data available
Quality of the Fish
- 2017 Qld Fisheries Boat Ramp Surveys reported an average length of 346mm
- Hinchinbrook ranked 6th in the State for size of Venus Tuskfish however, due to the small sample size, this ranking is unreliable
- 100% of fish reported in 2017 were kept
- 50% of the reported fish were caught by visitors
- Hinchinbrook has the 12th highest rate of released fish in the state indicating Venus Tuskfish are a popular harvest species
Moderate Take For Consumption Advised
Venus Tuskfish are reported as an incidental catch and not targetted by commercials. No assessment can be made on available data but we advise moderation and taking only what is needed for immediate consumption.
Not enough data is available to make a forecast.
Qld FIsheries Boat Ramp Surveys
Monitoring of Recreational Catch by Qld Fisheries
Queensland Fisheries monitors boat ramps up and down the coast as a part of the Sustainable Fisheries Strategy. Fishers in Hinchinbrook report catching Venus Tuskfish with most being kept. Monitoring began in 2017 and continues in 2018.
- Venus Tuskfish were not commonly reported in 2017, ranking 30th in Hinchinbrook
- The length of the single fish reported in 2017 was 346mm
- Fishers reported an overall catch rate of 0.2 fish/fisher/day
- 100% of the fish reported in 2017 were kept
- 50% of the total catch was reported by visitors
Venus Tuskfish are targeted by sportfishers for much the same reason as other groups - take home for a feed. As sportfishers practice catch and release for their key estuary targets, offshore represents the opportunity to bring back a feed of fish for the family.
- NOTE OFFSHORE DATA IS STILL UNDER REVIEW, UPDATES WILL BE AVAILABLE IN APRIL.
A detailed snapshot of tagging by the Gladstone Sportfishing Club and Suntaggers is available:Local Sportfishers
Monitoring of Venus Tuskfish Recruitment
No data is available currently on Venus Tuskfish Recruitment.
Monitoring of Venus Tuskfish
Data for this assessment has been sourced from:
- Bureau of Meterology
- Local Sportfisher / Suntaggers
- Queensland Fisheries
Here are links to all the monitoring pages for Venus Tuskfish: